INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION – Hospitality
Location: Mamoní Valley Preserve, Panama
Job Title: Hospitality Intern
Help us ensure that we deliver that perfect blend of sustainable hospitality and comfort, while we connect guests to nature. Share your love for nature and your passion to provide a once-in-a-lifetime guest experience at our unique Rainforest Campus in the Mamoní Valley Preserve in Panama.
Based at our Rainforest Campus—a remote, jungle setting—you will be expected to serve with attention to detail and overall excellence in guest service and team leadership experience as support to the lodge manager. As our guest co-host and cooking facility service co-leader, you will be a major contributor to our resident community and will have the opportunity to be a mentor and teacher for the Panamanian and foreign volunteers that work under our lodge manager.
Further responsibilities will be:
- Researching and identification of best practices in sustainability and quality living and application thereof on-site
- Ensuring guest safety
- Leading volunteers of varying levels of experience in the implementation of your creative ideas and day-to-day tasks
- Project planning and budgeting
- Managing proper storage and maintenance of program materials in our digital software platforms (Google Suite)
- Developing systems to improve coordination of group visits, coordination of outdoor recreation activities, and logistics planning in a challenging rainforest environment
- Coordination with existing vendors and service providers as well as sourcing and securing new partnerships
All Experience Mamoní interns are expected to hold a presentation on the results of their work for the Mamoní Valley Preserve stakeholders upon the completion of their internship.
Join us and help build a culture at Experience Mamoní that welcomes visitors at our unique jungle home!
Required Job Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- High degree of organization; ability to multitask effectively
- Strong attention to detail
- Managerial qualities
- Previous experience in hospitality is a plus
- Previous administrative experience preferred
- Flexibility and readiness to overcome unexpected challenges in a dynamic rainforest environment
- Adaptability to major changes or unforeseen variables
- Sense of humor and team player
- Ability to drive standard/manual transmission, 4×4 trucks in off-road conditions is a plus
- Sense of adventure and preparedness to live in a remote location in the middle of the rainforest
- Wilderness first aid certified is a plus
Hours per Week: 40
Benefits included in tuition:
- Mentorship from dedicated internship coordinator and program staff
- Opportunities for professional and leadership development
- Airport pickup and drop-off is included
- Shared lodging in your private tent on a covered, raised wooden cabana at our off-grid rainforest campus at the edge of a vast wilderness preserve
- Three fresh meals per day cooked on-site. We are able to cater to specialized dietary restrictions.
- Potable water and fresh fruit drinks
- High-speed wireless internet
- Olympic length, stream-fed pool
- Micro-hydro electricity generation 24/7
- Access to laundry hand washing station and dry room
- Special rates for Eco Adventure activities within the Mamoní Valley Preserve
- Planning support for activities throughout Panama
- Howler monkeys, hummingbirds, and sloths
$500 stipend towards flights provided to six-month interns.
Some students choose to arrive a week or more in advance to spend some time in Panama City and take a Spanish intensive course, which allows them to enrich their experience in Panama.
It is recommended that students purchase personal health and medical insurance.
Packing list and more info on Panama provided upon receipt of application.
Why Experience Mamoni?
At Experience Mamoni, interns aren’t given menial tasks for the sake of keeping busy—you will form an integral part of our team. As a small social enterprise with a close-knit, start-up culture, we are looking for passionate individuals who are willing to work hard and contribute their unique skills and ideas to our mission.
We offer an ideal combination of a fast-paced, forward-thinking work conducted at a remote, sustainability-focused campus in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest. You will be immersed in a wild, natural environment where you wake up to the sounds of tropical birds and howler monkeys. On weekends, you’ll have the opportunity to hike along the continental divide, swim in waterfalls, and explore Panama’s many natural wonders.
In addition to the skills and knowledge you’ll gain from your daily responsibilities, you will have the opportunity to develop as a leader. Join our team of environmentally-minded, passionate restless creatives who look forward to teaching you, both informally and through monthly professional development sessions, about topics ranging from resilience and professional goal-setting, to principles of sustainable practices, to critiques of international development.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Application to 6 month Hospitality Management Internship” by December 14th, 2018.
Take the leap! Apply today.