INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION – Digital Media
Location: Mamoní Valley Preserve, Panama
Job Title: Digital Media Intern
The Digital Media Intern will be part of the Digital Media team, supporting the ongoing maintenance of the Experience Mamoní website and digital marketing efforts, and will play an important role in content creation and content dissemination via social media platforms. The main objectives will be to ensure timely delivery of content online, to increase patron engagement, to develop and execute social media strategies, research upcoming trends and apply them proactively, and to continue to build and advance the brand through online properties. The digital media intern must be passionate about nature, culture, and adventure. Most of his/her work will be in the tropical rainforest of Panama, taking pictures and videos during hiking and adventure excursions in remote, rugged terrain. Some excursions may take place in remote indigenous communities where extra care and sensitivity is required when documenting their cultural heritage. Additionally, the intern will be working with groups of students, volunteers and researchers in a 100% natural environment.
- Support with Experience Mamoní’s website update
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager to ensure website is up to date and user-friendly
- Execute website improvements with regard to SEO and lead generation
- Assist in the creation and distribution of social media for all of Experience Mamoní’s platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube
- Support with e-communications deployment and data management using MailChimp
- Support and protect the Experience Mamoní brand by ensuring positive and relevant messaging
- Identify and help maintain industry best practices, laws, and new technology techniques in digital marketing and e-commerce
- Interface with various departments to collect communications materials
- Manage online press room, including online press releases and photo assets
- Assist in the management of general communications and public relations as needed
- Other duties as assigned
All Experience Mamoní interns are expected to hold a presentation on the results of their work for the Mamoní Valley Preserve stakeholders upon the completion of their internship.
Required Job Skills:
- Fluency with social media (required) and WordPress (preferred)
- Knowledge of analytical tools such as Google Analytics and Google AdWords
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required; experience in InDesign, Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and video-editing software a definite plus
- Strong ability to research, troubleshoot, and analyze data
- Excellent written and graphic communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, creativity, and knowledge of information technology
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan and monitor own work plan
- Ability to work in dynamic, physically demanding environments with rugged terrain
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work independently and in cross-departmental teams in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Passion for nature, hiking, culture, and adventure
- Sense of adventure and preparedness to live in a remote location in the middle of the rainforest
Hours per Week: 40
Language Requirement: Intermediate Spanish preferred but not required.
Benefits included in tuition:
- Mentorship from dedicated internship coordinator and program staff
- Opportunities for professional and leadership development
- Transportation from Chepo or Las Margaritas to our Centro Mamoni campus
- Shared lodging in your private tent on a covered, raised wooden cabana at our off-grid rainforest campus at the edge of a vast wilderness preserve
- Three fresh meals per day cooked on-site. We are able to cater to specialized dietary restrictions.
- Potable water and fresh fruit drinks
- High-speed wireless internet
- Olympic length, stream-fed pool
- Micro-hydro electricity generation 24/7
- Access to laundry hand washing station and dry room
- Special rates for Eco Adventure activities within the Mamoní Valley Preserve
- Planning support for activities throughout Panama
- Howler monkeys, hummingbirds, and sloths
Some students choose to arrive a week or more in advance to spend some time in Panama City and take a Spanish intensive course, which allows them to enrich their experience in Panama.
It is recommended that students purchase personal health and medical insurance.
Packing list and more info on Panama provided upon receipt of application.
Why Experience Mamoni?
At Experience Mamoni, interns aren’t given menial tasks for the sake of keeping busy—you will form an integral part of our team. As a small social enterprise with a close-knit, start-up culture, we are looking for passionate individuals who are willing to work hard and contribute their unique skills and ideas to our mission.
We offer an ideal combination of a fast-paced, forward-thinking work conducted at a remote, sustainability-focused campus in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest. You will be immersed in a wild, natural environment where you wake up to the sounds of tropical birds and howler monkeys. On weekends, you’ll have the opportunity to hike along the continental divide, swim in waterfalls, and explore Panama’s many natural wonders.
In addition to the skills and knowledge you’ll gain from your daily responsibilities, you will have the opportunity to develop as a leader. Join our team of environmentally-minded, passionate restless creatives who look forward to teaching you, both informally and through monthly professional development sessions, about topics ranging from resilience and professional goal-setting, to principles of sustainable practices, to critiques of international development.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application to 10 week Digital Media Internship” by March 1st, 2019.
Take the leap! Apply today.