INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION – Community Development
Location: Mamoní Valley Preserve, Panama
About Experience Mamoni: Experience Mamoní (EM) is a social enterprise dedicated to ecological conservation and community development. Located within the Mamoní Valley Preserve in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest, EM provides a uniquely broad variety of wilderness experiences—once-in-a-lifetime eco-learning programs, high-level conservation research, and sustainable adventure tourism. Experience Mamoní strives to protect the unique biodiversity in the Mamoní Valley while enabling cultural exchange and fostering bio-culturally conscious leadership. Interns will be working out of our remote rainforest campus alongside EM staff.
Job Title: Community Development Intern
Experience Mamoní is conducting a community assessment research project within the Mamoní Valley Preserve to collect information on the inhabitants in the valley in preparation for a long-term community development project. This project will include a community needs assessment, focus group discussions, and recording information on potential opportunities for partnership between Experience Mamoní and the communities. The Community Development intern will have the opportunity to be a core member of the research project team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Preparing interview questions
- Supporting with recruiting and interviewing subjects
- Supporting with planning, conducting, and recording focus group discussions
- Managing the project databases and inputting information, data, and records
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative research data and contributing to the reporting and interpretation of findings
- Presenting the research findings and recommendations to executive team members, stakeholders, and investors
All Experience Mamoní interns are expected to hold a presentation on the results of their work for the Mamoní Valley Preserve stakeholders upon the completion of their internship.
Required Job Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to multitask effectively
- Previous research experience is strongly preferred
- Previous coursework in international development and/or the social sciences would be an asset
- Previous international experience would be an asset
- Experience using statistical software programs such as R, SPSS, or Stata to analyze data – a plus (not required)
- Flexibility and readiness to overcome unexpected challenges
- Sense of adventure and preparedness to live in a remote location in the middle of the rainforest
- Sense of humor and team player
Hours per Week: 40
Language Requirement: Intermediate/advanced Spanish required
Benefits included in tuition:
- Mentorship from dedicated internship coordinator and program staff
- Opportunities for professional and leadership development
- Airport pickup and drop-off is included
- Shared lodging in your private tent on a covered, raised wooden cabana at our off-grid rainforest campus at the edge of a vast wilderness preserve
- Three fresh meals per day cooked on-site. We are able to cater to specialized dietary restrictions.
- Potable water and fresh fruit drinks
- High-speed wireless internet
- Olympic length, stream-fed pool
- Micro-hydro electricity generation 24/7
- Access to laundry hand washing station and dry room
- Special rates for Eco Adventure activities within the Mamoní Valley Preserve
- Planning support for activities throughout Panama
- Howler monkeys, hummingbirds, and sloths
$500 stipend towards flights provided to six-month interns.
Some students choose to arrive a week or more in advance to spend some time in Panama City and take a Spanish intensive course, which allows them to enrich their experience in Panama.
It is recommended that students purchase personal health and medical insurance.
Packing list and more info on Panama provided upon receipt of application.
Why Experience Mamoni?
At Experience Mamoni, interns aren’t given menial tasks for the sake of keeping busy—you will form an integral part of our team. As a small social enterprise with a close-knit, start-up culture, we are looking for passionate individuals who are willing to work hard and contribute their unique skills and ideas to our mission.
We offer an ideal combination of a fast-paced, forward-thinking work conducted at a remote, sustainability-focused campus in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest. You will be immersed in a wild, natural environment where you wake up to the sounds of tropical birds and howler monkeys. On weekends, you’ll have the opportunity to hike along the continental divide, swim in waterfalls, and explore Panama’s many natural wonders.
In addition to the skills and knowledge you’ll gain from your daily responsibilities, you will have the opportunity to develop as a leader. Join our team of environmentally-minded, passionate restless creatives who look forward to teaching you, both informally and through monthly professional development sessions, about topics ranging from resilience and professional goal-setting, to principles of sustainable practices, to critiques of international development.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Application to 6 month Community Development Internship” by December 14th, 2018.
Take the leap! Apply today.