INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION – Business Development
Location: Mamoní Valley Preserve, Panama
Job Title: Business Development Intern
The business development intern will provide key support to the Experience Mamoní (EM) team related to income generation through our diverse funding sources including grants, programs, online funding, and donors.
Experience Mamoní is a social enterprise that forms a part of a unique network of donors, non-profits and NGO’s, investors, researchers, and restless creatives. As the business development intern, you will have the opportunity to learn from, and about, this model and our partners while making critical contributions to fine-tune Experience Mamoní’s operations. You will work with EM’s business development staff, with your key responsibilities including:
- Strengthening and implementation of Experience Mamoní’s business development strategy
- Identification and sourcing funding opportunities
- Contribute to grant and proposal preparation and submission
- Assisting Experience Mamoní’s marketing team with online fundraising, including to establishing creative opportunities for crowdfunding initiatives
- Support with individual donor recruitment and stewardship
- Assisting with donor reporting
All Experience Mamoní interns are expected to hold a presentation on the results of their work for the Mamoní Valley Preserve stakeholders upon the completion of their internship.
Required Job Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- High degree of organization; ability to multitask effectively
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Previous experience in grant writing a plus
- Previous fundraising experience preferred
- Knowledge of environmental conservation field and major conservation funders is an asset
- Flexibility and readiness to overcome unexpected challenges
- Sense of humor and team player
- Sense of adventure and preparedness to live in a remote location in the middle of the rainforest
Hours per Week: 40
Language Requirement: Intermediate Spanish preferred
Benefits included in tuition:
- Mentorship from dedicated internship coordinator and program staff
- Opportunities for professional and leadership development
- Airport pickup and drop-off is included
- Shared lodging in your private tent on a covered, raised wooden cabana at our off-grid rainforest campus at the edge of a vast wilderness preserve
- Three fresh meals per day cooked on-site. We are able to cater to specialized dietary restrictions.
- Potable water and fresh fruit drinks
- High-speed wireless internet
- Olympic length, stream-fed pool
- Micro-hydro electricity generation 24/7
- Access to laundry hand washing station and dry room
- Special rates for Eco Adventure activities within the Mamoní Valley Preserve
- Planning support for activities throughout Panama
- Howler monkeys, hummingbirds, and sloths
$500 stipend towards flights provided to six-month interns.
Some students choose to arrive a week or more in advance to spend some time in Panama City and take a Spanish intensive course, which allows them to enrich their experience in Panama.
It is recommended that students purchase personal health and medical insurance.
Packing list and more info on Panama provided upon receipt of application.
Why Experience Mamoni?
At Experience Mamoni, interns aren’t given menial tasks for the sake of keeping busy—you will form an integral part of our team. As a small social enterprise with a close-knit, start-up culture, we are looking for passionate individuals who are willing to work hard and contribute their unique skills and ideas to our mission.
We offer an ideal combination of a fast-paced, forward-thinking work conducted at a remote, sustainability-focused campus in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest. You will be immersed in a wild, natural environment where you wake up to the sounds of tropical birds and howler monkeys. On weekends, you’ll have the opportunity to hike along the continental divide, swim in waterfalls, and explore Panama’s many natural wonders.
In addition to the skills and knowledge you’ll gain from your daily responsibilities, you will have the opportunity to develop as a leader. Join our team of environmentally-minded, passionate restless creatives who look forward to teaching you, both informally and through monthly professional development sessions, about topics ranging from resilience and professional goal-setting, to principles of sustainable practices, to critiques of international development.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application to 6 month Business Development Internship” by December 14th, 2018.
Take the leap! Apply today.